Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Living Apre Le Deluge


For Charles and Hortense, Life Just Gets Better.

I like Hats. This is a moderately altered advertisment for the (then) new 1940 Stetson 'Stratoliner'. What's really interesting is that overall inflation between 1940 and 2009 is 2,027%.

If it was a dollar-to-dollar comparison, this would mean that the hat pictured above in the pre-WW2 LIFE magazine ad (it's real price in 1940, $6.50 US), would cost over $13,000 in 2009.

One Dollar in 1940 is not equal to $2,027 today. But in general terms, Life In These United States is over two thousand per cent* more expensive than it was sixty-nine years ago.

If you can afford it, so nice for you. If you can't, well; Are there not work-houses? Are there no prisons?... And if they would rather die, said Scrooge, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

I'm not particularly fond of the rich -- and by that, I mean the one-percenters, the hereditary wealthy who always seem to be with us like particular forms of disease. So, after coming across this ad, I decided to, uh, edit it a bit...

(* This chart was forwarded to me by a friend, but turned out to be linked to some invest-in-gold racket. I've already posted this and so will grit my teeth and hang with it, but I'll probably do another post shortly which will be me, publicly shaming myself. For Shame! Bad numbers! No Fact-Checking! No soup for youuuuu!!!!)

(Oh, yeah: The wealthy still suck donkeys.)

No comments:

Post a Comment