Friday, February 5, 2010

They Like Me; They Really Like Me

I don't often have good news to report when it comes to My Place Of Witless Labor™. The days are frequently packed far too full, and things tend to drift or slop over the sides, and the feeling of seeing Abandon Hope All Ye carved over the doors is all too palpable.

However, this week there has been good news -- via an annual Review that was better than good, a possibility of promotion; making (relatively) a bit more money; and, a long conversation with my Boss' Boss, which -- as conversation with the Boss' Boss often is -- a little more metaphysical and global. With some actual meat in there.

And, let's be real: I have a job to discuss, as opposed to not. And there are millions of people who can't say that, courtesy of The Big Boyz; so some gratitude, as well as a counting of Blessings, is overdue and in order.

I mean, I can be cynical next week. Today, I'm grateful.

Reviews and talks with one's boss usually have little if any nutritional value in a spiritual sense. Manager-employee communication is on the Macaroni-and-no-cheese end of the scale; not so with this person.

It's always a treat to have a conversation with an adult, given that (as the Boss' Boss recognizes) so much of Business seems childish in comparison with, well, larger things.

Now, let's also be real: Things in my Place Of Da Labor™ aren't going to get any easier. In fact, they're about to get kicked up a notch. But, you know -- while I reserve the right to complain, and at least for today -- I think we can deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment