Friday, June 11, 2010

Running Dogs


Go, Big Pooch.

A recent shakeup at my Place Of Witless Labor™ has put me in a reporting position that is, as the saying goes, "not a good fit". Consequently, there will be some changes; posting will be minimal while this Dog looks for a new place to put my Rug and Food Bowl. How long that will take is anyone's guess.

Reflecting on the post below, about Little Bernie Madoff -- it is interesting what people tell themselves to justify their behavior.

The Germans have a wonderful word that catches some of the flavor of it: Schlau. Cassell's German-English, English-German dictionary lists the definition as

Schlau [zh-lau], adj., sly, cunning, crafty, wily, artful; (coll.) smart, slick; (coll.) slick operator.


I'm no stranger to realizations that I've been unclear about my own motivation, or about creating excuses for my own actions; pas de tout. But the truth is, bound tightly in self-reinforcing belief as they are, people like that have no real ability to see themselves clearly. They believe, strongly, that they do. And perhaps someday, they will. Perhaps not.

That's not my place to say. But, quoting Morgan Freeman, "to tell you the truth -- I really don't give a shit."


No comments:

Post a Comment