Thursday, July 29, 2010

Addicted


I See... _______ Pitifully Stupid People; All The Time

Why wouldn't you be addicted to an episodic television program that presents people, trying to help other human beings, which has a serious focus around one brilliant, sarcastic (even occasionally abusive), complicated, but ultimately endearing character -- one who believes those other human beings are worth saving.

Not because of any warm and compassionate expression of the Buddha nature; but because life is weird, and hard enough; and people lie their asses off just because that's their nature -- and saving them is work.



And, I admit some similarities between Gregory House's character and personality and my own: We're both intelligent, funny in an offbeat way, and either leave 'em laughing, slightly amazed, or appalled. But, I don't get to pop Vicodin and use a cane -- though I did lose sensation in a good bit of my right leg after an attack of sciatica three years ago; it's permanent, and I can get a fine limp going after an hour or so walking, which is something I like to do. But no cane, though I own one.

Anyway, I started watching House, MD on an on-again, off-again basis -- earlier episodes, in syndication (I won't watch Fox on principle). But, like so many other programs I never watched when they were on air, I've missed a good deal of the series to date. And now, I'm as addicted to it as House is to the Vicodin.


The Whole Sick Crew, January, 2009, Left To Right: Omar Epps,
Olivia Wilde; Jennifer Morrison; Jesse Spencer; Hugh Laurie;
Lisa Edelstein; Peter Jacobsen, Before The SAG Awards

Luckily, I'm still employed; live alone with my rug and dog bowl by the heater; and have disposable income... to buy the collected Seasons of the program to date, so that I can catch up to where the series is now, which I will begin to watch on Fox just as soon as Little Rupert chokes on one of his wife's thongs.

I like it. You may like drinking beer until you pass out. Or, going to monster truck rallies (House does). And, ultimately, the show is about people working together, their relationships and personalities -- and that's what life is ultimately all about. Maybe.




No comments:

Post a Comment